Public health is the science and art of protecting and improving the health of communities through education, promotion of healthy lifestyles, and research of disease and injury prevention.
Public Health Early Admissions Student Track (PHEAST) is a cooperative program between Chadron State College and the University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Public Health. The purpose of PHEAST is to recruit, educate, and graduate public health leaders from Nebraska. Program graduates are expected to promote and protect the health of Nebraskans by serving communities across the state. PHEAST represents a commitment and dedication to the education of Nebraskans and selected Nebraska students are pre-admitted into one specific program at UNMC College of Public Health.
Fields of Study
Dual-Degree Programs available from UNMC
Benefits for early admission include:
- Acceptance to PHEAST grants you early admission to the UNMC Master of Public Health Program.
- All PHEAST participants receive a tuition waiver of up to 16 credits per semester for their junior and senior years.
- Access to UNMC’s College of Public Health faculty, staff, and alumni for mentoring.
- You are enrolled at Chadron State College and have a GPA of 3.2 or higher
- You are a Nebraska resident and have completed approximately 60 credit hours, but no more than 80 credit hours in your program of study at the time of entry into PHEAST. Students must complete and submit a projected plan of study along with their application documents. If the three campus slots are not filled, students who have completed more than 80 credit hours at time of entry into PHEAST may be considered on a case-by-case basis for admission into the program.
Application Deadline: March 15
Applications will be accepted from January 1 to March 15. Applications must be completed online and printed. Please bring to Room 139 in the Math Science Building or mail to: CSC Health Professions Office, 1000 Main St., Chadron, NE 69337.
- Application package must include the following:
- A completed PHEAST application
- Official CSC transcripts
- Three letters of recommendation
- A one-page personal essay that describes why you want to become a public health professional, and what academic and personal characteristics would make you a successful candidate who pursues a graduate education in public health
- A projected plan of study for your degree completion at CSC (see the Health Professions Office, Math Science Room 139 for guidance)
Click here to access the University of Nebraska Medical Center PHEAST Program
For more information contact:
Health Professions Office
Kristal Kuhnel, Director
Chadron State College
1000 Main Street
Chadron, NE 69337