Chadron State College
Chadron State College


Q: What is RLOP?

A: RLOP is a partnership between CSC and UNL-College of Law to recruit future lawyers for rural Nebraska communities.

Q: What are the benefits of being an RLOP student?

A: RLOP students receive full tuition scholarships while at CSC, and RLOP students are provisionally admitted to the UNL-College of Law.

Q: What are the RLOP eligibility requirements?

A: RLOP applicants must:

  • Apply for admission to CSC and to RLOP.
  • Possess a permanent address in a "rural area" of Nebraska.
  • Demonstrate continuing academic achievement indicative of the ability to succeed in the UNL-College of Law academic program of study.
  • Demonstrate a commitment to practicing law in the rural areas of Nebraska.

Q: What qualifies as a rural Nebraska community?

A: "Rural Nebraska" is defined as all geographical units of the state other than Lincoln, Omaha, Ralston, Boys Town, Elkhorn, Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista, Chalco, and Offutt Air Force Base.

Q: Do I have to choose a specific major?

A: No. A Legal Studies major is encouraged, but you may major in any field of study. If you choose another major, you must complete the Legal Studies minor to be eligible for RLOP.

Q: Do I need to complete any specific elective classes?

A: Yes. There are several courses you will take to better prepare for the challenges of law school. The RLOP Student Handbook lists these classes and your RLOP advisor will help you with the selection.

Q: How many RLOP students and alternates can be accepted?

A: There are five openings for RLOP students and RLOP alternates each academic year.

Q: Are there any scholarships available?

A: Yes, students chosen for and satisfactorily participating in RLOP will receive full CSC tuition for up to four years.

Q: What does it mean to be chosen as a RLOP Alternate?

A: Students chosen as alternates to RLOP must satisfy all program requirements but are not provisionally admitted to UNL College of Law until a RLOP position becomes available. Also, alternates do not receive full CSC tuition or LSAT prep materials provided by UNL College of Law.

Q: What does "provisionally accepted student" mean?

A: “Provisionally accepted student” is defined as a CSC student who meets the requirements for RLOP admission, who has been admitted to the RLOP program, and who demonstrates satisfactory progress according to the program standards for admission to the UNL College of Law.

Q: Is an internship required? Will I receive help arranging my legal internship?

A: Yes. All RLOP students are expected to participate in an internship arranged by UNL-College of Law. RLOP students are required to successfully complete this internship prior to graduation. RLOP students earn college credit for working in a supervised setting. The CSC Internship and Career Services Office will assist students in fulfilling the requirements for college credit. Prior approval is required.

Q: Who will advise me?

A: RLOP students will be assigned a CSC mentor and a UNL-College of Law mentor to advise them about RLOP requirements and to assure that each student understands and meets requirements for progression in the program.

Q: Where do I get more information on UNL's-College of Law graduate program?

A: Information for the UNL-College of Law can be found on its website.

CSC RLOP Contact Information

Kate Pope
Project Coordinator
Telephone: 308-432-7079