Chadron State College
Chadron State College


Last Updated: June 29, 2020


Q: Is the college open?

A: Crites, Sandoz, NPAC, and King Library are open to the public as of June 1, 2020. The remaining buildings are open to employees and students but are closed to the public until further notice.

King Library
The King Library is currently on summer hours
Visit the King Library website or email for updated hours of operation

Mari Sandoz High Plains Heritage Center
Call 308-432-6401 for updated hours of operation

Nelson Physical Activity Center
No more than 10 people allowed in the weight room and cardio room
No more than 25 people allowed in the arena
Patrons should clean their equipment when finished and practice social distancing

Q: Where can I find information about the move-in schedule and orientation?

A: The move-in schedule will be available on the Orientation website on June 30. CSC will also mail the schedule to students.

Q: Can students expect additional financial aid as part of the CARES Act or similar?

A: At this time, we are not aware of additional CARES Act funds. If you are experiencing financial difficulty due to COVID-19 or for any other reason, please email with a detailed explanation as to how you have been impacted financially. Please use “Special Circumstances” as the subject line in this email. CSC may be able to provide other sources of aid.

Q: Can students meet in-person if groups are less than 10 people?

A: All campus buildings remain open to students at this time. If students choose to work together, they must follow the current standard of not having groups larger than 10 people. If someone in the group feels sick, they should not partake in the meeting.

Q: Is the campus open for visits?

A: Yes, the summer is a great time to visit campus. The Admissions campus visit page has more information.

Q: I left campus and am taking classes at home through remote delivery. Can I receive my packages sent to campus?

A: You will receive an email notification that a USPS, FedEx, or UPS package has arrived on campus. Respond to to arrange to have it sent to your new address.


Q: Will the college offer face-to-face classes in the fall?

A: Yes, that is the plan at this time.

Q: What kind of classroom can I expect this fall?

A: CSC has reviewed all classrooms on campus. The current guidelines call for social distancing or use of a facemask and we are going to do both. You will be farther apart than in a normal classroom and you may find yourself in a larger room in buildings we don’t always use for classes. For example, you may meet in some of the larger rooms in Armstrong Gymnasium or, for choral classes, the Sandoz Center.

Q: What is happening to math and science classrooms?

A: Because of the Math Science Building renovation, those classes are being moved to several different buildings on campus. Most of the math classes and some of the science classes will be in the Burkhiser Complex. Temporary labs are being constructed this summer. Other science classes will be in Brooks Hall, which is being remodeled to meet those needs. Be sure to check your schedules and communicate with your professors.

Q: Is the online class schedule the same as the face-to-face schedule?

A: Yes, the online schedule will be the same as the face-to-face schedule. The important thing to remember is that the 8-week sessions will really only be seven weeks this semester. It is important to be sure you are actively engaged in your classes and work hard to keep up with your daily assignments.

Q: What are the hours of the START Office?

A: START is open Monday through Friday during normal work hours (7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.). Email to set up a Zoom meeting or call 308-432-6061.

Q: Will faculty maintain office hours? What’s the best way to contact them?

A: Yes, but faculty may elect to have all of their office hours virtually, by phone or video conferencing. Also, faculty office hours may now be scheduled at different times than they were during the first eight weeks of the semester. Consult the modified syllabus for each of your courses or communicate directly with the instructor by email for additional information. You may also call the office assistant for the academic program.

Q: How will the December session work? Is it eligible for financial aid?

A: The December 3-week session (D-term) is an extension of the Fall semester for students who want to take advantage of this opportunity. Students may qualify for financial aid for the D-term. CSC will include your eligibility for D-term as part of your Fall financial aid awards. In order to calculate your eligibility, you will need to be enrolled prior to your financial aid being disbursed.

Q: I take CSC courses at Mid-Plains Community College. If I am not able to visit in person, how do I contact START Advisor Bobi Johnson?

A: She invites you to call her at 308-520-1054 or email her at

Q: I take CSC courses at Western Nebraska Community College. If I am not able to visit in person, how do I contact START Advisors Becky McAllister or Kathy Peters?

A: Please email Becky at to set up a video conference. Please email Kathy at

Q: I am a faculty member who needs assistance making arrangements to record a video of my class for remote learning. Who do I contact?

A: For now, contact Elizabeth Ledbetter at

Q: I am doing an internship but my site is closed and I don’t know if I can finish my hours.

A: Contact Deena Kennell at to discuss alternative arrangements for completing your internship.

Q: Will there be allowance for student work schedules?

A: Please communicate directly with the instructor for each of your courses.

Q: Will there be allowance for technology issues?

A: Please see the information at the Student Remote Learning Resources page for assistance.

Q: When and how should I buy my books? How do I find out what books I will need? What is the sell-back policy after drop/add?

A: A tutorial for viewing your textbook information is included in the New Eagle Resource Guide that was mailed to you. It is also available at CSC’s Online Orientation and on the website. You can purchase your books through CSC’s online bookstore or through another vendor, but it is important to make sure you are purchasing the correct edition. The policies for sell-back will be determined by the vendor (e.g., CSC’s online bookstore, Amazon). Renting textbooks is an option at most vendors. The START office can help you locate your textbook information.

Q: How do I go about selling my textbooks back to MBS?

A: See the steps at the MBS website.

Q: What about access to textbooks left behind?

A: At this time, the campus remains open during regular business hours to students and employees. Before electing to return to campus to retrieve textbooks, please communicate directly with each of your instructors about how to address this question; thanks to the generosity of many publishers around the world, there may be free digital (electronic) textbook access available for your particular textbook.

Q: I am an international student. Will my F-1 visa status be affected if I take multiple classes online?

A: No, your F1 visa status will not be affected. The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVIS), which is run by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), said it recognizes that these are special circumstances. As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, SEVIS is allowing schools to adapt their procedures around your student visa and temporarily lifting restrictions on online learning for the remainder of the Spring 2020 semester. If you choose to return home to finish your studies, please contact Angie Camerlinck, International Project Coordinator at or by phone at 308-432-6376.

Q: Are Study Abroad and Study Away programs being postponed or canceled?

A: According to the NSCS COVID-19 Guidelines, all Study Abroad programs scheduled for the 2020-2021 academic year are canceled.

Q: If I was going on the London and Dublin Study Abroad Program when should I expect the refund?

A: The refund is coming from CSC's third-party provider, Worldstrides. They have stated we should expect the refund in July or August. You will then be notified that we have received the refund.

Events and Athletics

Q: How will I find out about CSC event changes?

A: Please continue to monitor CSC emails for further information or check CSC’s COVID-19 page.

Q: What is the status of athletic competitions?

A: All RMAC and NCAA Division II competitions were canceled for the Spring semester, including championships. The Fall schedule is being determined and is subject to change. All spring rodeos were canceled. The College National Finals Rodeo in Casper, Wyoming, June 14-20 was canceled.

Housing and Dining

Q: Are the residence halls open?

A: Yes, the residence halls are open. Residence Hall staff are available to help students who want to pick up their belongings or arrange to store their property at CSC. Additional information is available in this document.

Q: When is move-in?

A: On-campus students will receive a form in their EagleMail from the Housing Office to request a time to come to campus early between August 1-12.

Incoming students will receive information in the next two weeks about the modified move-in. Incoming students will be assigned a designated time for move-in on Thursday, August 13.

Q: How will the cafeteria and other food areas operate?

A: Campus dining facilities will provide “grab and go” options to eliminate the need for students to be in dining areas for meals. Where possible, additional physical barriers will be installed to limit contact between dining facility staff and patrons. Dine-in options will be allowed if the colleges comply with the Department of Health and Human Services “Restaurant In-Room Dining Reopening Guidelines.”

Q: Will the meal plan and pricing change to reflect the semester schedule change?

A: There will be no lapse in meal service this fall, so pricing will remain the same for meal plans. The number of dining days will still be similar to last fall (105 for 2020 and 107 in 2019). Housing rates are under review, but currently the rates established in January will be used.

Q: What are the policies for move-in and additional costs for people like cheer team members who have to arrive early?

A: Students instructed to arrive early for an athletic team or other co-curricular group (Eagle Leaders, cheer team, drumline) should contact their coach/leader/supervisor for check-in dates. Students checking in early for these groups are not charged extra.

Students not in a group designated to arrive early may check in up to two days early without being assessed summer housing charges.

Q: Under what circumstances can I stay in the residence halls over the winter break?

A: This is currently under review. For students staying on campus through finals and the Thanksgiving holiday, a possibility will be a flat, affordable housing rate for the new D-term from Nov. 30–Dec. 18. Students may anticipate a week-long closure with more details to be announced. Students are welcome to leave their property in their rooms from fall to spring unless they are cancelling on-campus housing for the spring.

Q: Will the residence halls be used for isolation, quarantine, or convalescing COVID-19 patients?

A: Chadron State, Peru State, and Wayne State Colleges will provide residence hall rooms for individuals who need to quarantine, isolate, or convalesce during the COVID-19 pandemic if called upon by the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services and the Nebraska Emergency Management Agency. There are no COVID-19 quarantined individuals currently being housed at the colleges, and there is no immediate need for these rooms. The health and safety of our students, staff, and faculty are very important to us. The residence hall rooms designated for use during the pandemic would be completely separate from any students who remain on campus.

Q: Is food being served?

A: Yes, the cafeteria is open during the fall and spring semesters. To maintain social distancing, food is available only as carryout. The Eagle Market and C-Store are temporarily closed. Call 308-432-6734 for more information.

8–10 a.m.
11 a.m.–1 p.m.
4–6 p.m.

Physical and Mental Health Resources

Q: Will masks be required?

A: If wearing a mask is not feasible for you, please contact Deena Kennell at 308-432-6467 or to discuss an accommodation. If you do not wish to wear a mask, or you need to have accommodations to take the class via Zoom, please contact Deena Kennell to discuss an accommodation.

Q: Does Chadron State College have any confirmed cases of COVID-19 on campus?

A: No, Chadron State College does not have any confirmed cases. COVID-19 cases have been confirmed in Nebraska and nearby states. Additional information about Nebraska’s response to the outbreak is available at the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services website.

Q: What is social distancing?

A: Social distancing is intentionally staying at least 6 feet away (about two arms’ length) from other people and limiting face-to-face contact.

Q: Will residence halls stay open even if outbreak spreads?

A: The residence halls, like all other buildings on campus, will remain open to students and employees. However, if an outbreak spreads in a residence hall, the college will follow its Infectious Disease Plan to mitigate the spread.

Q: If I have symptoms correlated/associated with COVID-19, can I use telehealth rather than going into a medical office or clinic? Are there drive-up testing sites in the Panhandle?

A: Students can call the CSC nurse at 308-432-6022 or the Chadron Medical Clinic at 308-432-4441 for a phone triage. Telehealth service is in the final stages of being available by the Chadron Medical Clinic. For up-to-date information, please visit the Chadron Medical Clinic website. For information about testing sites in the Panhandle, please visit the Panhandle Public Health District website.

Q: Are students being checked if they return to campus?

A: No, the college does not have the capability to perform tests for each individual returning to campus. Please contact the Panhandle Public Health District at 308-262-5764 if you are returning to Chadron.

Q: How can I contact CSC counselors if I am feeling anxious, stressed or depressed?

A: The CSC Counseling Office can be accessed by contacting Colleen Brennan at 308-432-6232 or You can also access more information at the Health Services website.

Q: Will there be allowances for family life issues?

A: Please communicate directly with your instructor for each of your courses.

Student Employment

Q: How will the College handle student employment for the remainder of the semester?

A: If a student worker is able and willing to work, the College can assign duties as available. If a student worker says he/she can’t work, we will not require them to do so but they will not be paid. This approach also applies to student workers (work study students) who were previously employed to work off campus, for example, at local schools. Students who normally work but no longer have work available to them or supervisors who need work should email Kimberley Hernandez at: or or call 308-432-6418. (Please note that normal hiring process such as filling out a bi-weekly hiring form will apply.)


Q: What resources are available to help students who are not used to online classes?

A: Please visit the Student Remote Learning Resources page. IT will continue to update this page.

Q: Are computer labs open to students?

A: Yes, all campus buildings remain open to students. However, please practice social distancing and do not gather in groups of more than 10 people.

Q: What if Sakai goes down and students can’t access it?

A: If you are having trouble logging in to CSC Online/Sakai, please contact the IT Help Desk 308-432-6311 After hours support is also available at 1-877-722-6131. IT will work with the software provider in the event that the system becomes unavailable. You may also consult with your instructor on alternate forms of communication such as email.

Q: What is Zoom and how does it work?

A: Zoom is a web-based video conferencing tool. If your instructor uses Zoom for course delivery, you will be able to join a session by clicking the meeting link provided by your instructor.

Q: Can Zoom meetings be recorded and available on-demand?

A:Yes, Zoom meetings can be recorded. It will be up to the instructor to make videos available on-demand, so you will need to check with your instructor to see if recordings will be available and where the links will be located.

Q: Will faculty receive instruction on how to teach online?

A: Nearly all of Chadron State’s faculty has some type training for online instruction. The college will continue to provide resources to faculty about online instruction, as well.

Q: Has CSC done remote learning on this scale before?

A: No, this is a unique time in Chadron State’s history. We appreciate your patience during this transition.

Q: Will there be an extra charge for remote delivery?

A: No, there will be no extra fees for classes delivered remotely.


Q: I am an employee or student worker returning to campus. How do I know if the area I'm returning from was experiencing community spread?

A: Please visit one of these maps.
United States: scroll down to the map of state reporting cases of COVID-19 to CDC, hover over the state you are returning from, if it says Community Transmission: Yes, self-report to PPHD.
Outside the United States: scroll down to the map that says Search COVID-19 risk assessment by country. If you are returning from a country with Widespread Sustained Spread: Yes, self-report to PHHD.
If you were at a state or country that is undetermined, but you know there is community spread in the city you were visiting: Yes, self-report to PPHD.

Q: Is the campus limiting travel?

A: As of March 16, all college-related travel has been indefinitely postponed.

Ask the COVID-19 Team a Question