Placement Testing is available at New Eagle Registration & Orientation events and by appointment. In some cases, it is possible to set up off-site testing. To arrange for placement testing or if you have any questions, contact the Transitional Studies Office. All students taking a placement test are required to show a valid photo ID.
Students with an ACT Reading and/or English score below 19 or SAT Writing & Language score below 26 and/or Reading score below 25 are required to take the CSC English placement test. The English placement test is designed to ensure that students are placed in an appropriate English course. The priority deadline for completing the English placement test for Fall 2018 enrollment is July 30, 2018.
English Placement Test Information
- Students must write in response to a writing prompt.
- Your writing sample will be evaluated by the English Department Faculty who also teach the classes in which students will be placed (SLO#2 and/or English 111).
- The results of a student’s CSC English placement test determine whether they are placed in an Essential Studies English course (SLO #2) or a Transitional Studies English Course (ENG 111).
- Evaluation of English placement tests may take up to three weeks. Results will be emailed to students at their EagleMail accounts.
Students have the option of taking the Accuplacer mathematics test(s) for further math placement options. The Accuplacer test is designed to help determine which math classes are most appropriate for students. It is an Internet-based proctored test.
Math ACUPLACER Test Information
- The Accuplacer Math tests are not timed so you can focus on doing your best.
- The tests are multiple choice and are adaptive, which means the questions you see are based on your skill level. Your response to each question drives the difficulty of the next question.
- Your scores are available upon test completion; however, course adjustments may take up to two weeks.
Content of Each Math Test
- Whole Numbers and Fractions
- Decimals and Percentages
- Applications and Problem Solving
- Integers and Rational Numbers
- Algebraic Expressions
- Equations, Inequalities, and Word Problems
College Level Math
- Algebraic Operations
- Solutions of Equations and Inequalities
- Coordinate Geometry
- Applications and Other Algebra Topics
Items Prohibited During Testing
- Smart Watches and similar wearable technology
- All recording devices (audio, photographic, video, etc.)
- Unauthorized testing aids
- Flash/thumb drives or any other portable electronic devices
- Food, beverages, or tobacco products
- Listening devices (i.e. media players with headphones, etc.)
- Non-medical electronic devices
- Paper of any kind (scratch paper will be provided by the test administrator)
- Slide rules, protractors, compasses and rulers
ACCUPLACER Test Preparation
There are several resources available to help you review math concepts prior to completing the Accuplacer math test(s):