Library Learning Commons
Academic Honesty - Chadron State College
Students are encouraged and expected, with the assistance of the faculty, to conduct themselves in conformity with the highest standards with regard to academic honesty. Violation of college, state, federal standards with regard to plagiarism, cheating, or falsification of official records will not be tolerated. Students violating such standards will be advised and disciplined. Violations of these standards may result in course failure, suspension, or dismissal from the college. Students are encouraged to seek the advice of instructors as to the proper procedures to avoid such violations. The following acts are examples of academic dishonesty:
- Cheating - intentionally using or attempting to use unauthorized materials, information, or study aids in any academic exercise.
- Fabrication - intentional and unauthorized falsification or invention of any information or citation in an academic exercise.
- Facilitating Academic Dishonesty - intentionally or knowingly helping or attempting to help another in an act of academic dishonesty.
- Plagiarism - appropriating or imitating language, ideas, and thoughts of another author, representing them as one's own original work. The following acts are examples of plagiarism:
- Submitting an assignment that someone else has written and claiming the work as one's own.
- Submitting an assignment that contains sections, paragraphs, sentences or key phrases that someone else has written without appropriately documenting the source(s) for each portion of the assignment not written by the student submitting the assignment.
- Submitting an assignment that contains paraphrased ideas from another source, published or unpublished, without appropriately documenting the sources for each paraphrase. (Changing around a few words in a sentence from the source is not sufficient to avoid plagiarism.)
-"Someone else" in the three statements above may refer to a published author, another student, an internet source, or any person other than the student claiming credit for the assignment. If an individual is unsure in how to document sources used within an assignment, they are encouraged to ask their professor or the reference librarian for assistance.
Chadron State College Undergraduate College 2011-2013,
Student Conduct - Academic Honesty, pg.28.