Library Learning Commons
E-Mail Page | Print Page
Interlibrary Loans at the LLC
Online Inter-library Loan Forms
Interlibrary Loan Services – Library Learning Commons
Books, journal articles, and some other types of materials not owned by King Library may be borrowed from other libraries. Borrowing may be limited by copyright restrictions or by the format of the material. Students should limit their requests to 5 per class per semester.
The Library is linked through the OCLC network to thousands of other libraries and usually the desired materials will be available somewhere from someone. The only real limitations are the willingness of the lending source to provide the material requested and the willingness of the borrower to pay the price required. Please note that Interlibrary Loan services are library-to-library borrowing/lending agreements. Please do not call libraries and make your own borrowing arrangements as King Library cannot be responsible for charges or materials requested in this manner.
Certain requirements are necessary before the King Library can fill an interlibrary loan request.
- Forms: Each interlibrary loan request must be made using the online forms found above. Please note there is one form for books and one form for periodicals. All required information must be supplied by the patron before the request will be initiated. Incomplete or incorrect forms will be returned to the patron. Libraries will not fill “blind” requests or general subject requests; the loan request must be for a specific title or article.
- Fees: Fees are charged for interlibrary loan transactions. Postage or loan fees may be charged for both books and photocopies. Each requestor is responsible for his/her own fees; students may not charge fees to a faculty member or have faculty sign the student request to bypass normal fee arrangements.
Standard fees range from $2.00 postage costs per book to $1.00 for photocopies up to 10 pages with $.10 a page for each page over 10. Signing the ILL form indicates you are willing to pay all standard costs associated with the transaction.
Extended Fees: Some libraries such as medical or law libraries or larger university libraries may charge a flat fee for use of their services. In such cases the King Library will share the extended costs with students and faculty by paying ILL charges up to $10.00 per transaction; Charges exceeding that amount will be the responsibility of the requestor and must be paid in cash before receiving the material. Patrons will be notified in advance of any charges exceeding the $10.00 limit. Checking the box on the ILL form indicates you are willing to pay all extended costs associated with the transaction.
- Materials not available for borrowing: Lending libraries generally will not provide audiovisual materials, rare books, sets of books, original dissertations and theses, oversized materials or computer programs. Books which have been published within the current year may not be available for loan. The borrowing of certain periodical articles may be restricted if the copyright limitation of 5 articles per journal title per calendar year has been reached.
- Loan period: Most interlibrary loans are made for a period extending from14 to 28 days at the discretion of the lending source. The King Library will not request a renewal of an interlibrary loan item. There are no faculty privileges (semester-long checkout) for interlibrary loan items, nor may these items be placed on the Reserve shelf for a class. It may take a minimum of 10-14 days for a lending library to fill a request and to mail the item to us. PLEASE PLAN YOUR RESEARCH ACCORDINGLY.
- Pickup: Items may be picked up at the Circulation Desk at King Library. The interlibrary loan staff will phone or send an email to announce the arrival of a loan item. Book loans should be returned to the Circulation Desk with all papers and forms attached. Payment in cash of accrued charges must be made at the time of pickup. Any requested material must be picked up in 10 days or it will be returned to the lending library, and the requestor will still be assessed any loan fees associated with borrowing the item.
- Questions about Interlibrary Loan Policies or Procedures: contact Christine Fullerton at 6271 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to request an Interlibrary Loan from Wyane State or Peru State
Books, journal articles, and some other types of materials not owned by the King Library may be borrowed from other libraries. Borrowing may be limited by copyright restrictions or by the format of the material.
Books available from Wayne State College or Peru State College may be requested by clicking the Request button at the top of the page in the online catalog, filling in your name and student ID number, and submitting the request. Allow up to a week for the material to be sent. A fee of $2 will be assessed to help cover postage.
If an item is not available at Wayne State College or Peru State College then an interlibrary loan request must be made using the online form links at the top of this page.