Strive Learning Center
E-Mail Page | Print Page
How Successful Students Prepare for Tests
Are you really doing everything you can to prepare for tests? Re-reading the chapter and looking over your notes is not enough.
Below is a list of tips for test preparation from successful students
- Keep up to date with assignments.
- Take notes in every class every day. This includes asking questions when you don’t understand.
- Process information as you come to it. Learning information is much different than "becoming acquainted" with it.
- Process information systematically. Labeling in the margin works well for most people.
- Adapt it to suit your learning styles. Capitalize on the discipline labeling in the margin requires and make it a habit to process information from texts and lectures, not just go over it.
- Have a study place that is free of distractions.
- Have a specific time for initial study of each subject. You may need more than this time, but having a set time will save you time.
- Make summary sheets, flash cards, and practice tests.
- Always carry some kind of pocket work and make use of wasted spare minutes by reciting and thinking about what you are learning.
- Learn something new or difficult in your strongest intelligence, sense, or in your dominant hemisphere. Reinforce it as many different ways as possible.
- Find a study partner or two in each class and routinely take turns teaching each other the material.
- Prepare for each class as if there will be a pop quiz.