Chadron State College
Chadron State College

Social Security Numbers

A Social Security Number (SSN) is a unique nine-digit number issued by the U.S. government and required by all employers in the U.S. This number is necessary for you to get a job, pay taxes, obtain a driver’s license, and a few other legitimate reasons. ONLY STUDENTS WHO ARE EMPLOYED OR HAVE A JOB OFFER MAY APPLY FOR A SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER. Once you obtain a SSN, it is yours forever and may be used on subsequent visits to the US. You cannot apply until you have been in the U.S. for at least 10 days and have registered for classes. If you work for pay in the U.S., you must have a SSN to file a U.S. income tax return.

Once you have a SSN you should take every precaution against loss or misuse. A SSN is a permanent identification number. It is not intended as a routine form of identification to be given to everyone. It should be given only to those who have a valid reason for needing it, such as your employer for payroll and tax purposes.

To get a SSN, you must apply in person at the Social Security Office in Scottsbluff, Nebraska approximately 100 miles from Chadron State College. If you require a SSN, contact the OIE to make arrangements to take you to Scottsbluff. The OIE has pre-arranged trips to take groups of international students to Scottsbluff for this purpose.

Be sure to take the following documents with you when applying.

  • Valid passport with U.S. entry visa and I-94.
  • Form 1-20 or DS-2019.
  • Social Security Letter issued by the OIE.
  • Letter of employment offer from the CSC Human Resources Office.

You will receive your Social Security number on a card in the mail approximately three weeks after you serving

If you have additional questions, you can find more information on the Social Security website, or contact OIE at:, or 308-432-6376.