Chadron State College
Chadron State College

On-campus Employment

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations 8CFR214.2(f)(9)(i) govern on-campus employment for international students. Under these regulations, international students can work on campus for the educational institution provided their employment does not displace a U.S. citizen and the student is in academic good standing. Students can also work for an outside company operating on the campus, if the company provides a direct service to students. For example, international students can work for the bookstore, but they cannot work for a construction company building a structure on campus.

During the regular academic year, work is limited to a maximum of 20 hours per week. Students may work full-time during official breaks (winter and summer). Students are discouraged from working during their first year.

If you secure on campus employment, visit OIE to ensure your employment meets the USCIS definition of on-campus employment and to make arrangements for getting the required federal Social Security number.

F-1 students who maintain lawful status and who plan to enroll at a different institution the next academic term may continue on-campus employment at CSC until the reporting date of the new school. They also may begin employment at the new institution as soon as that institution has issued a new form I-20.

Potential On-Campus Employment Opportunities at CSC

CSC has limited on-campus employment opportunities. Watch for advertisements around campus, announcements on the CSC webpage or visit an office where you would like to work. The Human Resources Office may also have a list of employment opportunities. Frequent opportunities include:

  • Call Centerteaching
  • Campus Security
  • Child Development Center
  • CSC Ambassador
  • Food Services
  • Information Technology
  • Nelson Physical Activity Center
  • Strive Learning Center
  • Graduate Assistants (Only for Graduate Students)

If you have questions about on-campus employment, please call us at 308-432-6376, or email us at