Chadron State College
Chadron State College

Off-campus Employment

U.S. federal regulation strictly limits work opportunities for F-1 international students. Generally, working off campus is prohibited except under cases of demonstrated severe economic hardship as detailed below.

Severe Economic Hardship
F-1 students can apply for special authorization to work off campus if they can demonstrate and prove new and unexpected circumstances have resulted in severe economic hardship. The circumstances may include the following:

  • Loss of financial aid due to no fault of the student
  • Loss of on campus employment if it is not the student’s fault and there is no other on-campus employment
  • Large increase in tuition or living costs
  • Substantial decrease in relative value of currency that student depends on to pay expenses
  • Unexpected changes in the financial conditions of the student’s sources of financial support
  • Unexpectedly, large medical bills not covered by insurance
  • Other substantial unexpected expenses

To be eligible, the student must:

  • Be in valid F-1 status and enrolled for at least one academic year (9 months)
  • Be in good academic standing
  • Demonstrate that on-campus employment is neither available or sufficient

If you think you may qualify under “Severe Economic Hardship”, contact the OIE. Do not start working without prior authorization.

Work Time Limits
Employment is limited to no more than 20 hours per week when school is in session and full-time during holidays or vacation periods. Employment authorization is automatically terminated when a student fails to maintain status. Authorization for off-campus employment is granted in one year increments.

If you feel you may have a case for working off campus due to Severe Economic Hardship, please contact the Office of International Education at or by calling 308-432-6376 to schedule an appointment. You MUST have special permission through SEVIS.

It can take up to 12 weeks or longer for the Employment Authorization Document (EAD) to be processed by the Nebraska Service Center. Therefore, students are urged to allow sufficient processing time for this procedure by submitting their paperwork early. Employment may not commence until the student obtains the EAD.