The prominent C that overlooks the college campus was set in place in 1924 through the efforts of Mr. T.A.F. Williams (a CSC mathematics faculty member from 1919 through 1930), his wife, and former student. Several activities associated with this C emerged as the college grew and developed. The lighting of C-Hill was one such activity.
The first recorded lighting of C-Hill was in the late 1920’s or early 1930’s. According to Ross Armstrong (CSC Faculty member, administrator, and Chadron State Foundation officer from 1933-1990), the C Club sponsored a “Lantern Walk” to the top of C-Hill for a number of years. The members and volunteers carried lanterns, forming an illuminated train as they walked up the hill, stopping at the top to outline the C. The Lantern Walk ended sometime around World War II.
In 1983, the CSC student leaders revised the lighting of C-Hill. The athletes and C-Club members cleaned and painted the C and Cardinal Key Honor Sorority organized the lighting of C-Hill during the Homecoming activities. Flashlights were substituted for the lanterns. Since then, the lighting of C-Hill has been a part of the CSC Homecoming events. The National Guard furnished light-sticks for the activity in 1988. The tradition continues on today.
Everyone is invited to join us after the Volleyball Game at the
Student Center Clock Tower!